Potato Chip Cake
3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 teaspoon Club House Organic Thyme Leaves
2 medium sweet potatoes (565 g)
2 ½ teaspoon table salt, divided
2 tbsp Sriracha
4 cups potato chips, preferably thin and not kettle-style (100 g)
1 cup shredded parmesan cheese (110 g)
1 cup mayonnaise
2 tbsp Sriracha
½ tsp lemon juice
1. Potato chip cake: Peel and cut sweet potatoes into ⅛ – inch slices on a mandoline.
2. Melt butter and 2 tablespoons oil in a 10-inch non-stick skillet on medium-high heat until shimmering, and add thyme. Cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
3. Add the sweet potato and 1 teaspoon salt and cook, covered, until just tender but not falling apart, about 10 to 13 minutes. Stir occasionally, lifting and flipping gently to encourage even cooking. Add 1 tablespoon water if sticking.
4. Whisk eggs, remaining 1 ½ teaspoons salt, and sriracha together in a bowl and add potato chips. Let sit until soft, about 5 minutes.
5. Stir the sweet potatoes and cheese gently into the egg mixture.
6. Wipe out skillet and heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil until shimmering. Pour in egg mixture. Use a spatula to push the mixture down to level it off and fill any air pockets in the potato layers.
7. Cook on medium-high heat, rotating the skillet every few minutes, until at least an inch of the mixture has visibly set around the edges and the sides have turned a pale golden brown, about 16 to 22 minutes. The top will still be runny in the middle,but the cake should feel like it’s firming up underneath when you press on it. (Run a heat-proof rubber spatula around the edges as soon as they start setting to prevent sticking, and push the sides in gently so you can see down and check their colour.)
8. Turn oven broiler to high.
9. Transfer skillet to the oven and broil until the top is just set and golden brown, and the sides are foaming, about 2 to 3 minutes. (The foaming is a sign you have the right amount of oil and your potatoes are well saturated so your cake won’t be dry – unless you overcook it! The cake will absorb the foam as it cools.)
10. Spicy sauce: Whisk mayonnaise, sriracha, and lemon juice together.
11. Slice potato chip cake into 8 wedges and serve with a dollop of spicy sauce.